• Field tiles make up most of the job, the "field".
Border tiles are trim pieces set around the edge of the field.
• Listello tiles have a decorative design different
from field tile and are generally used on the edge of the field, like the frame of a picture.
• Rope tiles, as
you might expect, have a rope design, usually in raised relief, and are used on the border.
ceramic tile carries a PEI (Porcelain Enamel Institute) wear rating:
• Class 1, no foot traffic. Interior residential
and commercial walls only.
• Class 2, light traffic. Interior residential and commercial walls and residential
• Class 3, light to moderate traffic. Residential floors, countertops, and walls.
Class 4, moderate to heavy traffic. Residential, medium commercial and light institutional floors and walls.
Class 5, heavy to extra-heavy traffic. Residential, commercial and institutional floors and walls.